20 TIPS TO IMPROVE ENGLISH EASILY
Is it time to take action and to be serious about improving your English? Here is a list of my 62 tips. Have fun and good luck
1. Find out what your current level is. You can do this by filling in a free self-test on the internet, for example on the website of the Cedarwood. Determining your own level ensures that you can determine from which you can further improve English.
2. Set yourself a language goal. Setting a goal gives you a guideline during learning. Knowing what you are doing and what you want to achieve makes it easier to improve your English.
3. Make your goals practical and feasible. The danger of overly big goals is that they are harder to reach, so you can quickly lose the motivation to improve your English. It is easier to set smaller goals. Be specific with setting your goals. That way you always have clear what you want to achieve within a certain period.
4. Learn at least 10 new words every day. Use a newspaper to search for new words. This is a good example of a practical and feasible goal. Ten words in a day are nothing compared to the hundreds of words you say one day. Yet in this way, you have learned no less than 300 new words within a month and are improving your English every day. Do you find words too simple? You can also learn 10 expressions per day! For example, in this video you will find 1000 (!) Frequently used English expressions:
5. Say these 10 sentences out loud. In this way, you not only learn the new words, but you are also busy practising the pronunciation of the new words. You remember words better if you immediately start working with them by writing them down and practising them.
6. Put the leaf with these phrases in your pocket and read them if you have some time. By repeating the sentences with the new words you will notice that you know the words in no time.
7. Read English books, but choose a book that interests you. You learn a language mainly by doing a lot of it. You can do this by reading many English books, but pay attention to the level. An advantage of reading English books is that you are constantly unaware of correct grammar and sentence structure. To keep it fun for yourself, it's important to choose a book that interests you.
8. Watch English films, but without subtitles! Do not you like reading books? Then choose to watch movies. Here too, by simply listening and following the story, you learn more and more about the English language. And is it still too difficult without subtitles? Then turn on the subtitles in English instead of Dutch, so you come into contact with the English language a bit more.
9. Watch the news on CNN or the BBC. Keep track of the news and also improve your English, so you can catch two birds with one stone! An advantage of the news is that the images can often help you understand what is being said, so if you find English difficult, you can improve your English.
10. Carry a pocket dictionary with you or install an app. These small tools can help you improve your English in a very short time (for example, wait a quarter of an hour in a row). Quizzes or games are a great tool when you want to improve your English. The Appstore and Playstore are full of this kind of apps! Examples are the Duolingo or Babbel apps.
11. Read comic strips in English. Your favourite comic strip certainly exists in an English-speaking country. Go to the local bookstore or find out where you can order the English version of your comic book.
12. Find a language buddy (for example a British or American student who learns Dutch). There are enough students who stay in the Netherlands for their exchange. They can also help you improve your English. Often students are also looking for someone who teaches them Dutch. This way you can improve each other's mistakes and help each other improve your language!
13. Chat in English. Writing is just as important as speaking! Teach yourself a correct spelling by chatting in English. There are many different internet sites that focus on international chatting and thus unconsciously on improving your English.
14. Most people are helpful, let them help. Ask actively in your area for help! An error that is immediately improved is, after all, finer than an error that is repeated continuously without anyone saying anything.
15. Do not be afraid of your grammar book. Grammar is at least as important as word knowledge. Check all the rules again to make sure that you use correct verb times, conjugations and verb forms.
16. Learn the translation of the things around you, if necessary post a post-it. One post-it on the refrigerator ensures that you are reminded several times a day that the English word for window is 'window'. An easy way to improve your English without too much effort. Once you have had the basics, you can look for more specific words in your home. Do you already know the English word for window frame? improve English. if you read an English book, keep a notebook handy to write down new words. Look for these words too. Learn these words from your head 🙂. Pay particular attention to the different sentence constructions. Where do you put which word and do you know why?
17. Book club Create a book club yourself with a number of friends or join an online book club. Ask questions, participate in discussions and communicate with others in English. Because you do not know people personally at an online book club, it might be easier for you to take part in the conversation, and you gain a lot of experience.
18. Go to London for a weekend. Only! If there is one way to avoid coming from the English language, it is by going live in the middle of it - even if only for a weekend. Once you are in London, there are no excuses for not using English and you will not be disappointed. You will find that it is easier than you would expect if you have to speak the language once! if you want to join communication classes in Pune than contact Cedarwood.
19. Go to Pune for a day and pretend you are a tourist. There are so many tourists walking around in Pune, one more will not stand out. Order your drinks in English, ask the way in English; in Pune people do not look weird when they are addressed in English.
20. Agree to talk to each other in English for half an hour every day at home. You get used to speaking in English and can complement and improve each other at the same time. It will take some getting used to in the beginning, but in the end it will be incredibly valuable to increase your English skills.